About the Conversations
FALL 2017Conversation #1: What is Sustainable and Socially Responsible Investing and Why Is It Important?
Hosts: Environmental & Sustainability Studies and Geography
- The social and natural science data that is driving the movement toward socially responsible investment practices.
- What the outcomes of current economic development patterns look like domestically and globally.
Conversation #2: The Business of Investing Responsibly
Host: Bryan School of Business & Economics
- What are current trends in Socially Responsible Investing? Who are the players? What are future job prospects?
- Who are your partners in choosing how you invest and how are they equipped to match your values with good value?
- What is the typical performance of socially responsible investment practices?
- How do Triad leaders approach Socially Responsible Investing?
SPRING 2018Conversation #3: Learning from Other Schools & Strategies
Host: Sustainability Office
- What are other institutions of higher education, both public and private, in-state and beyond, undertaking related to socially responsible investment?
- What institutional mechanisms are available for institutional and individual actions?
Conversation #4: Council Consideration of What Has Been Learned
Host: Sustainability Council
- Presentation of main lessons from three previous conversations.
- Discussion of possible UNCG directions.
- Outline of possible individual actions.
Conversations Project Members
A diverse and important group of partners at UNCG are engaged in this project. The Conversation is being supported by numerous UNCG organizations: the Sustainability Council, the Green Fund, the Office of Sustainability, the Environmental & Sustainability Studies Program, the Department of Geography, the Bryan School of Business & Economics, and the Department of Economics. Key individuals include:
- Stephen Holland, Sustainability Faculty Fellow and Department of Economics
- Sarah Rahbek, Graduate Student Assistant, Department of Economics
- Aaron Allen, Program Director, Environmental & Sustainability Studies Program
- Corey Johnson, Associate Professor and Head, Department of Geography
- Joseph Erba, Assistant Dean of External Affairs, Bryan School of Business & Economics
- Bramley Crisco, Business Relations Specialist, Bryan School of Business & Economics
- Jorge Quintal, Associate Vice Chancellor Facilities, Chief Sustainability Officer
- Shanna Eller, Sustainability Coordinator for Operations
- The twenty plus members of the UNCG Sustainability Council
Student and University Benefits
Background Resources and Essential Readings
- Logue, Ann. Socially Responsible Investing For Dummies. Wiley.com. p. 196.