FALL 2017Conversation #1: What is Sustainable and Socially Responsible Investing and Why Is It Important?
Location: UNCG Faculty Center; 412 College Ave
Hosts: Environmental & Sustainability Studies and Geography
- The social and natural science data that is driving the movement toward socially responsible investment practices.
- What the outcomes of current economic development patterns look like domestically and globally.
Jill Hopke and Luis Hestres, co-authors of the Oxford Research Encyclopedia paper “Fossil Fuel Divestment and Climate Change Communication”
Jill Hopke works for DePaul University’s College of Communication as an assistant professor of Journalism. Her research is focused on how digital communication has affected the environmental movement by allowing activists to easily spread a message of sustainability.
Luis Hestres, Assistant Professor, University of Texas at San Antonio
Conversation #2: The Business of Investing Responsibly
Date: November 16 at 8:30 a.m.
Location: UNCG Faculty Center; 412 College Ave
Host: Bryan School of Business & Economics
- What are current trends in Socially Responsible Investing? Who are the players? What are future job prospects?
- Who are your partners in choosing how you invest and how are they equipped to match your values with good value?
- What is the typical performance of socially responsible investment practices?
- How do Triad leaders approach Socially Responsible Investing?
Self Help Credit Union
Self Help Credit Union’s mission is creating and protecting ownership and economic opportunity for all. Self Help does this by providing responsible financial services, lending to small businesses and nonprofits, developing real estate and promoting fair financial practices. While the work benefits communities of all kinds, the focus is on those who may be underserved by conventional lenders, including people of color, women, rural residents and low-wealth families and communities.
Trillium Asset Management
Trillium Asset Management is an employee-owned investment management firm with over $2 billion in assets under management*. Trillium integrates Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) factors into the investment process as a way to identify the companies best positioned to deliver strong long-term performance.
Chas Mansfield, CFA
Chief Investment Officer
Compass Financial Partners
A nationally recognized firm, Compass Financial Partners combines a talented, experienced team; scale and leverage with our partners; and unmatched passion for retirement plan consulting. From recordkeeper search and selection assistance and vendor fee benchmarking; to investment due diligence and employee communications, Compass Financial Partners’ process-driven suite of fiduciary services provides the resources necessary to help employers work towards successful retirement plan programs.
SPRING 2018Conversation #3: Learning from Other Schools & Strategies
Host: Sustainability Office
- What are other institutions of higher education, both public and private, in-state and beyond, undertaking related to socially responsible investment?
- What institutional mechanisms are available for institutional and individual actions?
Conversation #4: Council Consideration of What Has Been Learned
Host: Sustainability Council
- Presentation of main lessons from three previous conversations.
- Discussion of possible UNCG directions.
- Outline of possible individual actions.
Conversations Project Members
A diverse and important group of partners at UNCG are engaged in this project. The Conversation is being supported by numerous UNCG organizations: the Sustainability Council, the Green Fund, the Office of Sustainability, the Environmental & Sustainability Studies Program, the Department of Geography, the Bryan School of Business & Economics, and the Department of Economics. Key individuals include:
- Stephen Holland, Sustainability Faculty Fellow and Department of Economics
- Sarah Rahbek, Graduate Student Assistant, Department of Economics
- Aaron Allen, Program Director, Environmental & Sustainability Studies Program
- Corey Johnson, Associate Professor and Head, Department of Geography
- Joseph Erba, Assistant Dean of External Affairs, Bryan School of Business & Economics
- Bramley Crisco, Business Relations Specialist, Bryan School of Business & Economics
- Jorge Quintal, Associate Vice Chancellor Facilities, Chief Sustainability Officer
- Shanna Eller, Sustainability Coordinator for Operations
Kelly Burke, Vice Provost & Dean of Graduate School
Jim Settle, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
Julie Vorhees, Title III Grant Project Director
- Mikaela Portugal, SGA Vice President
- Kayla Forrest, Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of English
- The twenty plus members of the UNCG Sustainability Council
Student and University Benefits
Background Resources and Essential Readings
Martin, James & Samels, James:The Sustainable University: Green Goads and New Challenges for Higher Education Leaders
Ritchie, Justin: What Divesting May Yield: Revisiting the Grasshopper and the Ant in the context of University Endowments
- Logue, Ann. Socially Responsible Investing For Dummies. Wiley.com. p. 196.
- Reuters Staff: Sustainable Investing A Fiduciary Duty for Fund Managers, Says UN-Backed Study READ